Saturday, November 14, 2009

Get the ball rolling

Our blog is obviously following the trend of the season (gallery folks tend to hibernate kind of like bears) - a slowdown in openings, events, and general creative juices. I would like to attend more events in the coming weeks, so stay tuned. And I'd love to have Sara talk about her recent work (nudge, nudge :)).

I've also been a bit preoccupied with school stuff lately. I'm working on a research project for my Visual Culture seminar (the hidden semiotics of Pueblo worldview in the Matachines Dance) that's sucking up most of my time and putting my friends and coworkers to sleep when I talk about it. My sales director asked me to give a presentation on it here at the gallery (ideally without causing eyeballs to glaze over), so I am looking for ways to tie it into broader ideas about southwest material culture. The idea is still, after all, to sell more art. I also think we should all take a fieldtrip out to Jemez to watch the dance in December, but I don't know if I can talk the powers that be into it.

This project has totally sucked me in. I keep finding new ways to integrate the information, which is such an intellectual rush. It has me thinking more seriously about formally entering the MA program at UNM...so I started the application process in earnest this week. I've lined up two letters of recommendation and drafted my statement of purpose. Wish me luck!

P.S. Check out the cool image at the bottom of the screen! Sara rocks.

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment